How to Install Mounting Rings and Quick Connect Pickups on Your Gibson Guitar: If you’re a proud owner of a Gibson guitar and looking to make some modifications, this article is for you. In this step-by-step guide, we will walk you through the process of installing mounting rings on your humbucking pickups and replacing them with Quick Connect pickups.
Quick Connect pickups provide a convenient and solder-free solution for swapping and adjusting pickups, allowing you to experiment with different tones effortlessly. Whether you’re a seasoned guitarist or a DIY enthusiast, this guide will walk you through the process of mounting Quick Connect pickups on your Gibson guitar, unlocking a world of sonic possibilities.
So let’s dive in and discover how to easily install these pickups and take your guitar playing to the next level. These techniques will help you enhance the functionality and versatility of your Gibson guitar. So let’s dive in and get started!
Table of Contents
How to Install Mounting Rings and Quick Connect Pickups on Your Gibson Guitar
The Benefits of Quick Connect Pickups for Your Gibson Guitar”
- Effortless Pickup Swapping: Quick Connect pickups provide a convenient and hassle-free way to swap pickups on your Gibson guitar. Without the need for soldering, you can easily experiment with different pickup configurations and tones.
- Simplified Pickup Adjustments: With Quick Connect pickups, adjusting your pickup height and making fine-tuning adjustments becomes a breeze. You can achieve optimal sound and response without the complexities of soldering and wiring modifications.
- Enhanced Versatility: Quick Connect pickups offer additional features and options for expanding the sonic capabilities of your Gibson guitar. You can tap pickups, create out-of-phase sounds, or engage pure bypass modes, opening up a wide range of tonal possibilities.
- Time and Cost Savings: Installing Quick Connect pickups is a time-efficient process compared to traditional soldering methods. It reduces the need for extensive wiring work, saving you valuable time and potential costs associated with professional installations.
- Reliable and Secure Connections: Quick Connect pickups ensure reliable and secure connections between the pickups and the guitar’s circuit board. The connectors and receptacles are designed to maintain a solid and stable electrical connection, minimizing the risk of signal loss or noise interference.
- Preserving Vintage Elements: While offering modern convenience, Quick Connect pickups still retain the essence of vintage taper pots used in Gibson guitars. This allows you to maintain the classic character and tonal heritage of your instrument while benefiting from contemporary features.
- Future-Proof Compatibility: By adopting Quick Connect pickups, you ensure compatibility with future Gibson models and advancements. As technology evolves, having Quick Connect-enabled pickups makes it easier to integrate new features or upgrades without extensive rewiring or modifications.
- Ease of Maintenance: Quick Connect pickups simplify maintenance tasks, such as cleaning or replacing pickups. They can be easily removed and reinstalled, making routine maintenance more accessible and efficient.
- User-Friendly Installation: Installing Quick Connect pickups is user-friendly and doesn’t require advanced technical skills. The straightforward process allows guitarists of various skill levels to upgrade their pickups and enjoy the benefits of quick and seamless connectivity.
- Resale Value: Upgrading your Gibson guitar with Quick Connect pickups can potentially increase its resale value. Many guitar enthusiasts appreciate the convenience and versatility of Quick Connect systems, making your instrument more appealing to potential buyers in the future.
Installing Mounting Rings on Humbucking Pickups
Step-by-Step Guide: Installing Mounting Rings and Quick Connect Pickups on Your Gibson Guitar
Installing mounting rings on your humbucking pickups is a simple yet crucial process. Follow these steps to ensure a successful installation:
- Familiarize Yourself with the Finished Pickup: Take a look at the finished rhythm pickup in its mounting ring. Notice how the mounting ring goes around the pickup with a screw and spring on each side.
- Understand the Orientation: The bridge pickup mounting ring has a slant or angle, while the rhythm pickup mounting ring is opposite and has the lowest point. This is how Gibson traditionally configures their pickups.
- Start with the Bridge Pickup: Begin by putting one screw into the mounting ring. Place the spring on top of the screw and press it onto the foot of the pickup base plate. Slowly and securely press the screw to center it on the hole. Use a Phillips screwdriver with a plastic tube to prevent it from sliding off and thread it in securely. Rotate the pickup and install the second screw and spring in the same manner.
- Repeat the Process for the Rhythm Pickup: For the rhythm pickup, follow the same steps as above. Remember to align the screws on the low side of the mounting ring. Hold the mounting ring securely, compress the spring, and use the Phillips screwdriver with a tube to ensure proper installation.
- Adjust the Pickup Height: Once the pickups are installed, adjust the height of the pickups so that the top of the coil forms protrudes slightly from the mounting ring. This will provide a good starting point, and you can fine-tune the height later.
Installing Quick Connect Pickups Gibson’s Quick Connect pickups offer a convenient way to swap pickups without soldering.
Here’s how to install them:
- Access the Control Assembly: Remove the back cover of your Gibson guitar to access the control assembly built on a circuit board. The pots may have a switch on the back, but the carbon element remains the same as the vintage taper pots used in Gibson guitars.
- Understand the Benefits of Quick Connect: Quick Connect pickups allow for cleaner and simpler pickup adjustments without soldering. They also offer more affordable and reliable features, such as tapping pickups, going out of phase, and pure bypass.
- Connect the Quick Connect Pickup: Each Quick Connect pickup has a connector on its cable. Find the receptacle on the circuit board and align the open side of the connector with the open side of the receptacle. Gently push down with a screwdriver or hemostats to seat it securely.
- Remove Existing Pickups: Unplug the existing pickups by disconnecting the Quick Connect connectors. Release the bridge ground wire receptacle using a fine-point tool, and set it aside.
- Replace Pickups: Remove the strings and tailpiece to prevent scratches. Loosen the mounting rings and carefully remove the pickups. If needed, use an alligator clip to hold the Rhythm pickup in place while replacing the Bridge pickup. Securely install the new pickups by reversing the removal process.
- Reconnect and Secure: Reconnect the Quick Connect connectors to the circuit board, ensuring proper alignment. Use hemostats or needle nose pliers to tuck in the wires for a tidy appearance. Reinsert the bridge ground wire receptacle